MSG Sphere London would push the limits for live entertainment by using game-changing technologies to pioneer the next generation of transformative, immersive experiences.
Located on an approximately five-acre vacant site in Stratford that was last used as a temporary coach park during the 2012 Olympics, near the Olympic Park and next to Westfield Stratford, this is an ideal location.
Stratford is one of the best-connected parts of London with the Central and Jubilee lines on the underground, a London Overground station, and Crossrail due to open by 2019. It is also a developing destination for culture and arts as the site of London’s East Bank at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
East Bank will include the new V&A, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Sadler’s Wells, University of the Arts London and UCL.
The MSG Sphere London site is located in the Stratford Metropolitan Centre and forms part of ‘Site Allocation SA3.1 Stratford Town Centre West’ within the LLDC’s adopted Local Plan. The site is specifically allocated for “large-scale town centre uses with supporting elements”.
MSG Sphere London would be a powerful platform, capable of hosting all types of entertainment events – including immersive productions, concerts, artist residencies, family shows, awards shows, corporate events and product launches.
We envisage MSG Sphere becoming the chosen venue for anyone who wants to share their vision – storytellers, artists, musicians, companies – as it redefines how we think about today’s live experiences.
- Attractions will become visually stunning stories that surround and transport audiences.
- Performances will serve as a vehicle for artists to tell a richer story and deepen their engagement with fans.
- Demonstration and education will be taken to a new level with multi-sensory environments serving as the ultimate teaching tool.
We are confident that London is the ideal city and there is a clear demand here for another venue. For example, New York City’s population (8.5 million) is almost identical to London (nearly 8.8 million). But, while the London market has only two large-scale capacity venues, the New York market has seven.
While the proposals in Stratford are still being developed, the venue has a scalable capacity of more than 18,000 seated, or 21,500 when there is a mixture of seating and standing space.
Featuring an iconic spherical shape, our proposals are for a venue approximately 90 metres high with a diameter of around 120 metres.
The venue will be clad in triangular LED panels which, when active, will display a range of static and moving images including partnership branding, advertising, digital art, and content related to the events within the venue.
The venue would have a number of additional distinctive features, including:
- An interior bowl that will feature the largest and highest resolution LED screen on Earth.
- A dynamically adaptive acoustics system that will deliver crystal clear audio to every guest, no matter the size or type of event.
- A new architecture for connectivity that will enable a broader range of content, greater interaction among guests and more immersive entertainment experiences.
The MSG Sphere sits on a four-storey base that fills the site.